[openstack-dev] [vote][kolla] deprecation for fedora distro support

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Sep 21 14:34:01 UTC 2016

On 9/20/16, 11:18 AM, "Haïkel" <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

    > Kolla core reviewer team,
    >
    > Kolla supports multiple Linux distros now, including
    >
    > * Ubuntu
    > * CentOS
    > * RHEL
    > * Fedora
    > * Debian
    > * OracleLinux
    >
    > But only Ubuntu, CentOS, and OracleLinux are widely used and we have
    > robust gate to ensure the quality.
    >
    > For fedora, Kolla hasn't any test for it and nobody reports any bug
    > about it( i.e. nobody use fedora as base distro image). We (kolla
    > team) also do not have enough resources to support so many Linux
    > distros. I prefer to deprecate fedora support now.  This is talked in
    > past but inconclusive[0].
    >
    > Please vote:
    >
    > 1. Kolla needs support fedora( if so, we need some guys to set up the
    > gate and fix all the issues ASAP in O cycle)
    > 2. Kolla should deprecate fedora support
    >
    > [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-June/098526.html

    /me has no voting rights

    As RDO maintainer and Fedora developer, I support option 2. as it'd be
    very time-consuming to maintain Fedora support..

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Jeffrey Zhang
    > Blog: http://xcodest.me

Haikel,

Quck Q – are you saying maintaining fedora in kolla is time consuming or that maintaining rdo for fedora is time consuming (and something that is being dropped)?

Thanks for improving clarity on this situation.

Regards
-steve