[openstack-dev] [vote][kolla] deprecation for fedora distro support

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 23 10:05:58 UTC 2016

> On 9/20/16, 11:18 AM, "Haïkel" <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>     > Kolla core reviewer team,
>     >
>     > Kolla supports multiple Linux distros now, including
>     >
>     > * Ubuntu
>     > * CentOS
>     > * RHEL
>     > * Fedora
>     > * Debian
>     > * OracleLinux
>     >
>     > But only Ubuntu, CentOS, and OracleLinux are widely used and we have
>     > robust gate to ensure the quality.
>     >
>     > For fedora, Kolla hasn't any test for it and nobody reports any bug
>     > about it( i.e. nobody use fedora as base distro image). We (kolla
>     > team) also do not have enough resources to support so many Linux
>     > distros. I prefer to deprecate fedora support now.  This is talked in
>     > past but inconclusive[0].
>     >
>     > Please vote:
>     >
>     > 1. Kolla needs support fedora( if so, we need some guys to set up the
>     > gate and fix all the issues ASAP in O cycle)
>     > 2. Kolla should deprecate fedora support
>     >
>     > [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-June/098526.html
>     >

>     /me has no voting rights
>
>     As RDO maintainer and Fedora developer, I support option 2. as it'd be
>     very time-consuming to maintain Fedora support..
>

>     >
>     > --
>     > Regards,
>     > Jeffrey Zhang
>     > Blog: http://xcodest.me
>     >

> Haikel,
>
> Quck Q – are you saying maintaining fedora in kolla is time consuming or that maintaining rdo for fedora is time consuming (and something that is being dropped)?

Both, in my experience in maintaining RDO on Fedora, I encountered
similar issues than Kolla. It's doable but a lot of work.
One of the biggest problem are updates, you may have disruptive
updates on python modules packages quite frequently, or even rarer,
get some updates reverted.
So keeping Fedora in a good shape would require a decent amount of efforts.

Regards,
H.