[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Oct 11 18:55:41 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-11 02:07 PM, Clay Gerrard wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-10-11 01:40 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
>>
>>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> There really needs to be a period when a) we know who all the candidates

>>>    Because many people vote as soon as they receive their ballot.
>>>
>> That is their choice.
>>

> Anita,
>
> I agree, that voters may choose to refrain from voting.  I don't hear
> anyone saying "people *can not* make time for thoughtful reflection on the
> candidates" - but suggestion that perhaps they *did not*?  Is there anyway
> we could get numbers about how many voters waited until the end of week
> like I did?

No, there is no report from the service that outputs timestamps of when
votes were submitted.

Now, if the supervisor of the election choose to monitor the status page
of the poll whilst the poll was happening that person could track how
many votes were submitted at the time the status page was rendered,
however it wouldn't be possible to independently verify this information
and I personally feel asking an election official to add this to their
duties (what happens if they got pulled onto a more important task?)
isn't something I would feel comfortable with. Administering elections
is already stressful enough.

> If most voters did wait until later in the week, I think we can reject the
> premise as false and accept that the week while voting is open *is* the
> time in the process that most of the electorate uses for reflection on the
> candidates.
>
> If many *did* vote early in the week before some policy/platform points
> were discussed one might even assume these voters have some remorse -
> perhaps they will behave differently next time?  Not known.

Agreed, this is not known. What also is unknown is the number of people
that voted early, followed the discussions and didn't feel any remorse
in their voting choices.

> OTOH, if we actively broadcast a period of time with the expressed purpose
> of facilitating this discussion I think it sends a message that we as a
> community expect this discussion to happen and have an impact on the
> results of the election.  Is there a *downside* to a 3 week election period
> as proposed by Ed, Chris and others?

Yes, there is a downside. As I have said several times already in this
thread, expanding the duration of the election from beginning to end
increases the time commitment and stress for the election officials. The
job already takes a lot of planning and a minimum of one month per
release for the ptl and tc elections, for the nomination period and the
voting.

Now if people want to explore other opportunities for how candidates are
differentiated that is fine, so far we seem to be circling around
different versions of what I had offered. I do think we can come up with
other ideas. I also think that implementing other ideas can be done in
the given time frame.

The option I offered was completed during the election timeframe, I
didn't need to expand the election timeframe to offer additional
communication about candidates.

Thank you,
Anita.