[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:07:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

> On 2016-10-11 01:40 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
>
>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
>>
>> There really needs to be a period when a) we know who all the candidates
>>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> The voting period is open for a period of several days, voters have the
>>> ability to vote at any time during that voting period.
>>>
>>   Because many people vote as soon as they receive their ballot.
>>

> That is their choice.

Anita,

I agree, that voters may choose to refrain from voting.  I don't hear
anyone saying "people *can not* make time for thoughtful reflection on the
candidates" - but suggestion that perhaps they *did not*?  Is there anyway
we could get numbers about how many voters waited until the end of week
like I did?

If most voters did wait until later in the week, I think we can reject the
premise as false and accept that the week while voting is open *is* the
time in the process that most of the electorate uses for reflection on the
candidates.

If many *did* vote early in the week before some policy/platform points
were discussed one might even assume these voters have some remorse -
perhaps they will behave differently next time?  Not known.

OTOH, if we actively broadcast a period of time with the expressed purpose
of facilitating this discussion I think it sends a message that we as a
community expect this discussion to happen and have an impact on the
results of the election.  Is there a *downside* to a 3 week election period
as proposed by Ed, Chris and others?

-Clay