[openstack-dev] [networking-sfc][devstack][mitaka]

Navdeep Uniyal Navdeep.Uniyal at neclab.eu
Tue Oct 11 12:41:57 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have been trying out networking-sfc to create service function chain in Openstack. I could create all the port pairs, port-pair-groups, flow classifier and the chain but I could not see the packets on the desired hops.
I am trying to create a simple sfc with 3 VMs(vm1 to vm3) in the setup. I just want to check how it works. In my setup, vm1 is the Traffic generator(iperf) and vm3 is the traffic receiver(iperf server). Now, the  2 vms (vm2 and 3) are in the same network with vm1 and I want to move the iperf traffic from vm1->vm2->vm3. In order to achieve this, I have created 2 port pairs of vm2  and vm3 and both pairs are in separate port pair groups (PG1 and PG2), also created a Flow classifier FC1 and finally chain with PG1, PG2 and FC1.  Now my question is, is my setup correct in order to achieve the sfc result as I stated above? Do I need to include the vm1 in the port pair group?
Below is the flow classifier:

+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                                                  | Value                                |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| description                                      |                                      |
| destination_ip_prefix               |                                      |
| destination_port_range_max |                                      |
| destination_port_range_min |                                      |
| ethertype                                        | IPv4                                 |
| id                                                         | e5000ade-50ad-41ed-a159-b89c4blp97ec |
| l7_parameters                                  | {}                                   |
| logical_destination_port           |                                      |
| logical_source_port                   | 63cdf664-dd67-455c-8345-f01ef58c23e5 |
| name                                                | FC1                                  |
| project_id                                       | 6b90cd3356144681b44274d4881c5fc7     |
| protocol                                          | tcp                                  |
| source_ip_prefix                          | 10.0.0.18/32                         |
| source_port_range_max      |                                      |
| source_port_range_min      |                                      |
| tenant_id                                         | 6b90cd3310104681b44274d4881c5fc7     |

Is there any wiki with some example case explained with testing scenario?

Best Regards,
Navdeep Uniyal
Email: navdeep.uniyal at neclab.eu<mailto:navdeep.uniyal at neclab.eu>
Software Engineer
NEC Europe Ltd.
NEC Laboratories Europe
Kurfürstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg,

NEC Europe Ltd | Registered Office: Athene, Odyssey Business Park, West End  Road, London, HA4 6QE, GB | Registered in England 2832014