[openstack-dev] [devstack] devstack-plugin additional-pkg-repos: ocata summit working session?

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Oct 13 02:55:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 02:09:33PM +0200, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> Backstory
> ---------
> Some time ago, tonyb and I started the work on a gate testing job which
> can install additional packages onto the testing node:

I think it'd be great to talk about and get a few people interested in helping
up to speed.

We tried to do this during Austin and failed.

> https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/b18a8a6cd1ed3865ff46e654e41b4959c342dc15/jenkins/jobs/devstack-gate.yaml#L536
>
> The installation of the additional packages is done via a
> devstack-plugin called "addition-pkg-repos" (apr):
>
>     https://github.com/openstack/devstack-plugin-additional-pkg-repos/
>
> The inital trigger for this was the need to test newer versions of
> libvirt and qemu. The plugin itself was supposed to be generic for other
> packages too, which makes it also useful for Cinder and Neutron (and
> probably others too).
>
> Long story short, I couldn't make any progress there lately due to other
> responsibilities. I still see the need for such a plugin though. Right
> now I help myself with a Vagrant setup:
>

> https://github.com/markuszoeller/openstack/tree/master/scripts/vagrant/libvirt-qemu-source-U1404-VB
>
> With that, I could successfully test the "virtlogd" feature in Nova
> which needs (the 5 week old) Qemu 2.7.0:
>
>     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-virtlogd
>

> Request
> -------
> My question is, if you have interest in this plugin and its
> capabilities, are you at the Summit in Barcelona and do you have time
> for a short working session there? Maybe on Friday during the
> contributors meetup?
>
>     https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ocata-nova-summit-meetup

I can't make the nova meetup but I'm sure we can find soem time.

> Possible action/discussion items
> --------------------------------
> * How to create a "*.deb" package out of the source code of
> libvirt/qemu? (surprisingly enough, I'm still struggling with this)

Now that trusty is less important this is actually pretty easy.  for the most
part you can gran the ubuntu package source and just rebuild it.

> * How should we specify the packages and versions to install in the gate
> job?

Yes but not the way we've done it with UCA :(

> * When do we build new packages and increase the version in the gate?

IMO Building must be seperate from the test phase.  I'd be against building
form tarballs in devstack-plugin-apr

> * Actually hack some code and push it

Good plan.

I'll try to make some libvert+qemu packages available for this during the next
week.

Yours Tony.