[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI, nova plans to have a room at the PTG in February

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Oct 7 16:53:37 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2016-10-07 10:20:51 +0200:
> Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-10-06 13:52:09 -0500:
> >> Sorry yeah I screwed that up. I re-read the PTG email and the first two
> >> days are cross-project things, and Wed-Fri are meetup style at the PTG,
> >> it's not time-boxed sessions like the design summit, unless again I'm
> >> screwing this up and this is just a thing that's not explainable to mere
> >> mortals until we actually experience one.
> >
> > It's not fully time-boxed, but as Clint pointed out it might be
> > useful to establish some sort of estimated schedule so cross-team
> > discussions can be coordinated.
>
> The first two days are for horizontal teams and cross-project effort
> participants to meet. Those are *not* 40-min timeboxed fishbowl
> discussions, each room will be dedicated to a given effort for two full
> days.
>
> That said, to facilitate having critical discussions, we'll set up some
> system to announce that a specific discussion will happen at a specific
> time. Open to options here (could be low-tech like mailing-list or
> whiteboard, high-tech with some specific webapp), but the idea would be
> to be able to easily find out when you should probably go out of your
> team room and join another.

My hope was that it would be "the summit without the noise". Sounds like
it will be "the summit without the noise, or the organization".

I'd really like to see time boxes for most if not all of it, even if many
of the boxes are just half a day of "work time" which means "we want to
work on stuff together without the overhead of less involved participants."

The two days of cross project is awesome. But there are also big
single-project initiatives that have cross-project interest anyway.

For instance, the movement of the scheduler out of Nova is most definitely
a Nova session, but it has ramifications for oslo, performance, neutron,
cinder, architecture, API-WG, etc.  etc. If we don't know when Nova is
going to discuss it, how can we be there to influence that discussion?