[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Nov 30 15:12:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2016-11-29 20:19:13 +0000 (+0000), gordon chung wrote:
> [...]
> > i don't recall why they were moved to be officially under the Telemetry
> > umbrella[3] but i remember they weren't allowed to do something if they
> > weren't part of an 'official' project. if i could remember what it was
> > this paragraph would be a lot more useful.
> [...]
>
> Perhaps they wanted to publish documentation to the
> docs.openstack.org site? That's traditionally only been allowed by
> the Docs team for official project deliverables.

This is a false statement for driver docs. We have had a proprietary driver
docs policy [1] in place since 2015, which we collaborated on with driver
maintainers, wrote it down, and communicated broadly.

The summary is "If a vendor wants full documentation in the Configuration
Reference, they have to add to the wiki page a contact editor that will
take care of the vendor driver documentation. The Documentation team will
assign bugs to the contact person, include the contact person in reviews
for the vendor driver, and expects timely responses."

The way I see it, soft white, understanding that "level playing field" is
not exactly the end-goal for OpenStack but that great, tested and
functional features are, is a compelling way forward. We need
accountability, and I do think drivers are important and teams should find
ways to enable that work in meaningful ways while also not overwhelming the
common. Believe me the docs team has lived this and empathizes with the
concerns.

Anne

1. https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/
specs/kilo/move-driver-docs.html