[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue May 24 13:20:01 UTC 2016

On 23/05/16 21:57 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:

[snip]

>So, yet another way to frame the original question (in a loaded way)
>may be: Are we trying to come up with a way of defining the community
>that lets us carry on doing what we've been doing, haphazardly, or
>are we trying to get the process of defining the community to bring
>us to a point where we have some useful constraints that allow us to
>more effectively reach goal X?
>
>Begging, of course: What's X?
>
>(To me, an unfettered big tent is a great way to keep riding the
>great OpenStack enterprise boondoggle, but I'm not sure it's
>resulting in a great experience for humans who aren't on that
>train.)

The question I believe we're trying to answer is the second one. It seems clear
to me that what we're doing has some problems we need to fix and coming up with
a way to explain what we're doing without fixing those problems won't help us at
all.

I've expressed several times my concerns related to an unfettered big tent. My
belief is that we should focus on the goal and accept that we might need to set
stronger rules (for lack of a better word in my vocabulary) that will help
preserving the tent.

So, just to make sure I'm making myself clear, I believe we should go with
option #2 in Thierry's comment from May 23 11:3 on this[0] review. While I'm not
entirely opposed to #1 I think #2 is better for us at this point in time. Here's
a quote of Thierry's comment:

       "To summarize my view on this, I think our only two options here are (1)
       approve the addition of golang (with caveats on where it should be used
       to try to minimize useless churn), or (2) precise the line between
       'openstack projects' and 'dependencies of openstack projects' in a way
       that makes it obvious that components requiring such optimization as to
       require golang (or any other such language) should be developed as
       dependencies"

My main motivation is that I still believe option #1 will have a negative impact
on the community and, perhaps more importantly, I don't think it'll help
reaching the goal we've been talking about in this thread. Many people have been
asking for focus and I think #2 will do that, whereas #1 will open the doors to
a different set of problems and complexities that won't help with keeping the focus.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312267/

Flavio

--