[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:13:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> So, just to make sure I'm making myself clear, I believe we should go with
> option #2 in Thierry's comment from May 23 11:3 on this[0] review. While
> I'm not
> entirely opposed to #1 I think #2 is better for us at this point in time.
> Here's
> a quote of Thierry's comment:
>
>       "To summarize my view on this, I think our only two options here are
> (1)
>       approve the addition of golang (with caveats on where it should be
> used
>       to try to minimize useless churn), or (2) precise the line between
>       'openstack projects' and 'dependencies of openstack projects' in a
> way
>       that makes it obvious that components requiring such optimization as
>       require golang (or any other such language) should be developed as
>       dependencies"
>
> My main motivation is that I still believe option #1 will have a negative
> impact
> on the community and, perhaps more importantly, I don't think it'll help
> reaching the goal we've been talking about in this thread. Many people
> have been
> asking for focus and I think #2 will do that, whereas #1 will open the
> doors to
> a different set of problems and complexities that won't help with keeping
> the focus.

Option #2 without the followup of actually evaluating and removing things
that do not fit is really Option #3, do nothing. Which is what I am afraid
will happen.  No renewed focus, no growth, no goal.

On the language front, since we want focus, the exiting decisions re
languages should also be part of that re-evaluation for focus.  It sure
feels like JavaScript is in exactly the same boat as folks fear Golang will
be here (a special case, domain-specific, division of community (ask
Horizon devs)).  And Bash, well, that isn't even a language.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com