[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Reason for installing devstack in CI pipeline

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Wed May 18 12:50:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:23:53AM +0100, Derek Higgins wrote:
> On 16 May 2016 at 18:16, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Over the last few weeks I've been head deep into understanding the TripleO CI
> > pipeline.  For the most part, I am happy that we have merged centos-7 DIB
> > support and I'm working to migrate the jobs to it.
> >
> > Something I have been trying to figure out, is why does the pipeline install
> > devstack?  I cannot see anything currently in the toci_gate.sh script that is
> > referencing devstack.  Everything seems to be related to launching the external
> > node.
> >
> > So, my question is, what is devstack doing?
>
> Can you elaborate what you mean when you say we're installing
> devstack, we currently make use of some of the devstack-gate scripts.
> The main need  for this is so it clones the correct version of each
> project to /opt/stack/new, the tripleo ci job then looks at
> ZUUL_CHANGES[1] to get a list of projects being tested and uses those
> git repositories to build rpm packages from them. The rest of the CI
> job then uses these rpm's (layered on top of rdo trunk repositorys) so
> they end up installed where appropriate.

Right I should have said devstack-gate, not just devstack.

So taking what you have explained and looking at the code, I think there can be
some optimizations made to actually switch out devstack-gate and using
zuul-cloner directly. Currently, using devstack-gate add about 10mins to the
start of a job and 10GB+ of data onto the server.

When I have some spare cycles, I plan on adding an experimental job to see how
we can better optimize the jobs. Mostly a make work project to better understand
how the CI pipeline works.