[openstack-dev] [cross-project][quotas][delimiter] Austin Summit - Design Session Summary

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:46:54 UTC 2016

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your suggestions. Please find my response inline.

On 5/13/16 2:45 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 05/12/2016 10:58 PM, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
>> [...]
>> But we are not working in a corner, we've a representative from cinder,
>> someone from trove who is interested in long term quota goals, someone
>> who has worked on nova (and then we are borrowing the gen_id concept of
>> Jay from Nova), someone from Zaqar, a PWG representative who is also
>> collaborating on UX study, someone who is interested from vmware's
>> perspective. And then we are developing this on the #openstack-irc
>> channel, ML, weekly meetings etc.
>>
>> Once some code is published, we will reflect back on the cross project
>> meetings to where things are heading.
> My understanding of the big tent is that you can do this kind of
> experimentation you plan also in the Big Tent - as part of an existing
> team. That was one of the big changes of the discussion AFAIU. You do
> not need to have a repository with content and can instead start right
> away - if being part of an existing project works for you,

Do we have a full fledged documentation of the BigTent somewhere? (my
search [1] doesn't only gives me older resolutions, blog posts (that may
not be time-stamped), etc)

We please do _not_ want to do this (even experiment) in a single
project. The scope is cross-project but it's a steep curve to get there.
The plan is to experiment soon in one project and with the help of other
project liaisons we need to start experimenting there too (possibly all
experimentation overlaps). Once the moving pendulum of library design
comes to a stop, we will like to consider it to be a truly cross project
entity (standard). Also, there are other issues doing this kind of stuff
in one (or more) projects separately, we need cross project liaisons
(who think cross project) to give us input, putting it in a project
polarizes the design.

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/search.html?q=big+tent&check_keywords=yes&area=default
> Andreas