[openstack-dev] [cross-project][quotas][delimiter] Austin Summit - Design Session Summary

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu May 12 06:36:33 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-12 02:59, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
> Thanks Josh about your reply. It's helpful.
>
> The attempt of this cross project work is to come up with a standard way
> of implementing quota logic that can be used by different services.
> Currently, different projects have their individual implementations and
> there are many learning lessons. The library is supposed to be born out
> of that shared wisdom.
>
> Hence, it needs to be an independent library that can make progress in a
> way, to be successfully adopted and vetted upon by cross project cases;
> but not necessarily enforce cross project standardization for projects
> to adopt it in a particular way.
>

> So, not oslo for now at least [1]. BigTent? -- I do not know the
> consequences of it not being in BigTent. We do not need design summit
> slot dedicated for this project, neither do we need to have elections,
> nor it is a big enough project to be coordinated with a specific release
> milestone (Newton, Ocata, etc.). The team, though, does follow the four
> opens [2]. So, we can in future go for either option as needed. As long
> as it lives under openstack/delimiter umbrella, runs the standard gate
> tests, follows the release process of openstack for libraries (but not
> necessarily require intervention of the release team), we are happy.

The release team only takes care of Big Tent projects, documentation and
translation teams are not covering independent projects - including
using the docs.openstack.org web site for publishing. Even in the Big
Tent you are not forced to release at a specific release milestone.

We don't have stackforge anymore by name, just by spirit: you can create
a repo for this as independent project as openstack/delimter,

Note that you can also start now under an existing project - like
keystone, glance or oslo - and later spin off as separate independent team.

Starting off independent is fine in general - it just really strikes me
as odd that a cross-project effort considers itself outside of the Big Tent,

Andreas