[openstack-dev] [keystone][oslo][designate][zaqar][nova][swift] using pylibmc instead of python-memcached

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:21:04 UTC 2016

On May 13, 2016 04:36, "Davanum Srinivas" <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Couple of points:
>
> * We can add pylibmc to g-r and phase out python-memcached over a time
period.
> * If folks are using python-memcached, we should switch then over to
> oslo.cache, then only oslo.cache will reference either
> python-memcached or pylibmc which will make the situation easier to
> handle.
>
> Thanks,
> Dims
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Steve Martinelli
> <s.martinelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > /me gets the ball rolling
> >
> > Just when python3 support for keystone was looking like a reality,
we've hit
> > another snag. Apparently there are several issues with python-memcached
in
> > py3, putting it simply: it loads, but doesn't actually work. I've
included
> > projects in the subject line that use python-memcached (based on
codesearch)

> > Enter pylibmc; apparently it is (almost?) a drop-in replacement,
performs
> > better, and is more actively maintained.
> >
> > - Has anyone had success using python-memcached in py3?
> > - Is anyone interested in using pylibmc in their project instead of
> > python-memcached?
> > - Will buy-in from all projects be necessary to proceed for any single
> > project?
> >
> > Open issues like this:
> > https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/issues/94 make me sad.
> >
> > stevemar

> --
> Davanum Srinivas :: https://twitter.com/dims

Another option is we could fork Python-Memcached and maintain it ourselves
(I would prefer to use pylibmc). But for a strictly pure Python
implementation it might make sense to do this.

Pymemcache is also another option, but was missing basic features last time
I looked / behaved significantly different (no mulit server support, etc).
We should revisit looking at pymemcache as well if we are looking at
pylibmc.

For the record, Python-memcached has at best been sporadically maintained
for the last year. This topic has come up a few times.

--Morgan