[openstack-dev] JavaScript RoadMap for OpenStack Newton

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri May 13 09:21:49 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 06:27 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:

>     On 04/21/2016 04:35 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>     > New: Xenial Build Nodes
>     >
>     > As of two weeks ago, OpenStack’s Infrastructure is running a
>     version of
>     > Node.js and npm more recent than what is available on Trusty LTS.
>

> Update: We're now on xenial. Yay LTS!
>

>     > Ultimately, we would like to converge this version on Node4 LTS, the
>     > release version maintained by the Node foundation. The easiest way
>     to do
>     > this is to simply piggyback on Infra’s impending adoption of Xenial
>     > build nodes, though some work is required to ensure this
>     transition goes
>     > smoothly.
>
>     While this is a nice intention, I'd like to remind folks that
>     historically, all JS and Node stuff have been maintained in Debian. So
>     the work to maintain packages are done in Sid. So best would be to make
>     sure the toolchain works there, as this is the way to go also for
>     getting stuff pushed to Ubuntu (ie: via Debian).
>

> That sounds great, though at this time I do not believe that we're
> gating on debian.

This has nothing to do with what I'm discussing. But yeah, we could
start thinking about gating on Debian Sid! :)

What I was saying, is that for packages to reach Ubuntu, we must
contribute them in Debian Sid first, which is where the work is done.

> Has anyone agreed to do the work to include debian
> nodes in infra?

It's already there. It took me a *very* long time to get it done.

> With that in mind, does Debian have exemption rules for
> frequently-updating packages like Firefox?

No. But you can use Sid or Testing, and there, updates are fast. Sid and
Testing have NodeJS 4.4.3, and Experimental has 6.0.0.

> If so, did Node receive one of these exemptions?

No way. But we can always upload to stable-backports. That's what it is
for, in fact.

> With Node4 LTS now in maintenance, and Node6 LTS
> officially released, that'll make it tricky for us to stick with
> whatever's in Sid. Non-compatible LTS cycles make for an unhappy infra.

See above. Sid and Experimental are moving targets.

> With that in mind, we've just started the
> 'js-generator-openstack' project, which will evolve to handle dependency
> version maintenance, tooling updates, and new project bootstrapping. I
> expect that most of the discussions about "What tools do we use" will
> happen there.

I just hope we find a way to avoid this path:
http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2016/05/10/a-moment-of-nostalgia/

:)

Thomas Goirand (zigo)