[openstack-dev] JavaScript RoadMap for OpenStack Newton

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu May 12 17:31:17 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-12 16:27:43 +0000 (+0000), Michael Krotscheck wrote:
[...]
> Has anyone agreed to do the work to include debian nodes in infra?
> I know we've got Centos7 and Fedora23 now, adding Debian doesn't
> seem like a huge stretch.

We have "debian-jessie" images and workers in Nodepool already. Once
usage picks up a bit, I expect to see Stretch/Sid added as well.

> With that in mind, does Debian have exemption rules for
> frequently-updating packages

It used to have something called "volatile" but more recent releases
use some combination of "updates" and "backports" suites to achieve
this.

> like Firefox?

The "iceweasel" (unbranded Firefox) package in Debian is based on
ESR versions to mostly avoid that madness.

> If so, did Node receive one of these exemptions?

Doesn't look like it. The latest "nodejs" package available in
Jessie is based on 0.10.29, though Stretch (testing for the next
release) and Sid (unstable) have 4.3.x versions presently. Also
nodejs 6.0.0 is available in experimental.

> With Node4 LTS now in maintenance, and Node6 LTS officially released,
> that'll make it tricky for us to stick with whatever's in Sid.
> Non-compatible LTS cycles make for an unhappy infra.
[...]

Looks like with Stretch and beyond we can rely on not having to
import/pin/backport a nodejs 4.x package, but in Jessie we'll likely
need a workaround still.
--
Jeremy Stanley