[openstack-dev] [kolla] xenial or trusty

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:51:15 UTC 2016

On 6 May 2016 at 16:27, Jeffrey Zhang <zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Jesse Pretorius <jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> FWIW OpenStack-Ansible is choosing to support deployment on both Ubuntu
>> 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for both the Newton and Ocata cycles, with
>> the current proposal to drop it in P. The intent is to provide our
>> deployers the opportunity to transition with a mixed deployment.
>

> Are you meaning the host/baremetal OS? ​the openstack-ansible deploy the
> OpenStack in LXC.​
> So it really do not care about the host machine's OS. Kolla is not care
> about it, too.
> I think the openstack-ansible a specify LXC image, and do not support
> multi base image.
>
> if not, could u provide any prove for this?

OSA supports the implementation of OpenStack on bare metal or in LXC
machine containers, so we need to cater for both. When an LXC machine
container is deployed we've chosen to use the strategy of always
implementing the same OS in the container as is implemented on the host.
This simplifies our testing greatly.

For the sake of background information, seeing as you asked, the base LXC
image we're using comes from https://images.linuxcontainers.org/ giving us
the ability to support multiple versions, multiple distributions and
multiple architectures, and it's especially nifty that the entire image
build process is open source and therefore can be implemented and
customised by our deployers.

I guess this is similar for Kolla in a different way because the image
pipeline is defined by the project and implemented through the docker image
building processes.