[openstack-dev] [nova][live migration] Request to merge initial storage pool patches

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu May 5 14:50:09 UTC 2016

I mentioned in the meeting last Tuesday that there are now 2 of us working
on the persistent storage metadata patches: myself and Diana Clarke. I've
also been talking to Paul Carlton today trying to work out how he can get
moving with the subsequent libvirt storage pools work without a huge amount
of conflict. We're going to work that out, but something which would help
us enormously while we work together is to knock off some semi-dependent
patches at the beginning of the series.

Specifically there are 5 patches which precede the series. None of these 5
patches are really part of the series, but the series depends on all 5 to a
greater or lesser degree. In order, they are:

Only attempt to inject files if the injection disk exists
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/250872/

Remove fake_imagebackend.Raw and cleanup dependent tests
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/267661/

Rename Image.check_image_exists to Image.exists()
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/270998/

Rename Raw backend to NoBacking
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279626/

Remove deprecated option libvirt.remove_unused_kernels
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/265886/

These have all been reviewed previously and attracted +1s. I just rebased
them, so they may have been lost, but I'm pretty sure they're ready for
prime time. These patches aren't really what the series is about, but they
are currently the principal source of merge conflicts. If we could get
these out of the way it would make it much easier for the 3 of us working
on the substantive series. Any chance of some core reviewer attention to
get these moving?

As for the status of the rest of the series, there are 2 more which I don't
expect to change:

Add a lock() context manager to image backend
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279625/

Introduce ImageCacheLocalPool
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279669/

Please review these too. However, these patches aren't ready to be merged
because they don't add users of the interfaces they introduce.

Everything after that is definitely changing. Diana and I are currently
working on cranking through these backend by backend. I'll provide a weekly
progress update in the live migration meeting.

TL;DR Core reviewers: please review the first 5 patches listed above. There
will be cake.

Thanks,

Matt
--