[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Thu May 5 14:26:26 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 00:32, Hayes, Graham wrote:
> On 03/05/2016 17:03, John Dickinson wrote:
>> TC,
>>
>> In reference to http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/093680.html and Thierry's reply, I'm currently drafting a TC resolution to update http://governance.openstack.org/resolutions/20150901-programming-languages.html to include Go as a supported language in OpenStack projects.
>>
>> As a starting point, what would you like to see addressed in the document I'm drafting?
>>
>> --John
>>

> Great - I was about to write a thread like this :)
>
> Designate is looking to move a single component of ours to Go - and we
> were wondering what was the best way to do it.
>
> The current policy does allow for the TC to bless different languages
> on a case by case basis - do we need to go from just python and JS to
> allowing all projects to use go, or should the TC approve (or
> disapprove) the swift and designate requests?
>
> I think the swift and designate changes might be a good test case to
> see how the build / mirroring / packaging / artifact / library issues
> shake out.
>
> - Graham

So, as part of the update to that policy, should we have an
"OpenStack Go developer guide" that lays out how we think we will
implement go in our stack.

I am sure it will not be complete, or even correct for what we actually
do in the end, but it could give us a place to try and come to a shared
understanding.

I am thinking along the lines of:

  - For requirements we will use Godep and will use .gitignore to make
    sure the vendored packages are not committed to git.

  - For inline code docs we will use Godoc, and for "narrative" docs,
    we will use the OpenStack standard sphinx docs.

  - All go components will be functionally tested as part of a devstack
    gate.

And many more I have probably forgotten.

Does this seem sane?

-- Graham