[openstack-dev] [nova] Distributed Database

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 4 17:19:55 UTC 2016

On 5/4/2016 12:00 PM, Edward Leafe wrote:
> On May 3, 2016, at 7:05 PM, Mark Doffman <mdoffman at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> This thread has been a depressing read.
>>
>> I understand that the content is supposed to be distributed databases but for me it has become an inquisition of cellsV2.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up, and I feel a lot of the responsibility for this direction. To make how I see things clearer, I wrote a follow-up blog post [0], but for those who aren’t inclined to read it, I think that Cells V2 is a great idea and could be very helpful for many deployments. My only concern was the choice of fragmenting the data. I would hope that any further discussion focuses on that.
>
> [0] http://blog.leafe.com/index.php/2016/05/04/mea-culpa-and-clarification/
>

> -- Ed Leafe

Can we please just let this thread die already? I realize that by
replying I'm making that impossible, but FFS, enough already.

Sending out blogs and contentious dev list threads right before the
summit and then not actually bringing any of these issues up in person
in the specific sessions (or the Friday meetup) we have is just causing
a huge distraction.

I get that people are concerned about this, it's a big change in Nova.
But what is really frustrating to me is the amount of noise from left
field by people that aren't actually working on the development of any
of this.

And that's fine, but if you're going to say let's scrap the work that's
been done and do something completely different, I have zero patience to
read about that over and over again until you've stood up and operated a
production public cloud using all of these other ideas and can come back
to say, yup, I was right, this is awesome and you guys were all idiots.
Because, and I might be going out on a limb here, but I bet that once
anyone gets 1/3 of the way into changing Nova to use one of these other
things, like 0mq or Vitess for example, there are going to be new hairy
issues to work out.

For the record, I love the performance and scaling work that Clint is
doing, and I sincerely hope we can get enough concrete information out
of those to make actionable changes in OpenStack to benefit everyone.
But right now we don't even gate on 0mq, let alone know of a large
production cloud successfully running with it. So until that starts
happening, I feel like this thread is going nowhere and we need to just
start ignoring it and moving on.

Matt Riedemann