[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Contributing to TripleO is challenging

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 13:41:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 01:27:33PM +0000, Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com wrote:
>>    Emilien,
>>
>>    Agree on the rant. But not clear on concrete proposal to fix it.
>>
>>    Spend more time “fixing” CI and use Tempest as a gate is a bit wage.
>>
>>    Unless we test known working version of each project in TripleO CI you are
>>    dependent on health of other components.
>
> I've so far resisted replying to this thread, because while valid, many of
> the concerns expressed by Emilien are quite general complaints, and it's
> hard to reply with specific solutions.
>
> However work *is* going on to improve many of these problems, let's see if
> I can provide a summary, to clarify the various "concrete proposals" which
> do exist.
>
> 1. Core team & review velocity
>
> We've had a small and very overloaded core team for a while now, and this
> will be helped by expanding our community to include those who've been
> regularly contributing excellent work and reviews as core reviewers:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-February/087774.html
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/089235.html
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/089912.html
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/089913.html
>
> Note that I personally think it's absolutely fine for folks to be more
> expert in some subsystem and to focus review extra attention on e.g API,
> UI, Puppet or whatever.  This subsystem-core model has been well proven in
> other projects, and folks will naturally broaden their areas of deeper
> knowledge over time.
>
> Related to this is movement of code, such as the puppet-tripleo refactoring
> mentioned by Michael - this has already started, and will help with
> providing a cleaner interface between the puppet and heat pieces (which
> will also help focus reviewer attention appropriately).

Indeed, Michael, Dan & I are working on moving out the Puppet code
from THT to puppet-tripleo.
That's a nice move, and I appreciate TripleO team support on it.

> 2. Day 1 developer experience
>
> This is closely related to the CI failure rate - there are efforts to
> integrate with the RDO tripleo-quickstart tooling, which simplifies the
> initial undercloud setup, and potentially makes consuming pre-built,
> validated undercloud images (probably output artefacts from our new
> periodic CI job) much easier.
>
> So, this will mean that both developers and CI can potentially be less
> regularly impacted by trunk regressions which often cause CI to fail, and
> break developer environments.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276810/5
>
> 3. CI coverage and trunk failure rate
>
> We've been working really hard to improve things here, which are really
> several inter-related issues:
>
> - Lack of Hardware capacity in the tripleo CI cloud
> - Frequent trunk regressions breaking our CI
> - Lack of coverage of some key features (network isolation, SSL, IPv6, upgrades)
> - Lack of coverage for vendor plugin templates/puppet code
>
> There's work ongoing to improve this from multiple perspectives:
>
> New periodic CI job (to be used for automated promotion of the
> current-tripleo repo, and for pre-built undercloud images):
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/271370/
>
> Add network isolation support to CI:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/288163/
>
> Test SSL enabled in overcloud:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/281988/
>
> CI coverage of IPv6:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/289445/
>
> Discussion around better documented integration for third-party CI:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/088972.html

Do we have plans to execute Tempest?

> In summary, we're doing a ton of work as a community to address the
> concerns raised by Emilien, and we've still got a lot more to do, but there
> *is* clear agreement on many of the problems, and a concrete plan in most
> cases to resolve them.

The recent weeks  showed real improvements (like you mentioned with
examples) and that's a good sign for TripleO project.
Emilien Macchi