[openstack-dev] How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:06:44 UTC 2016

>> > The output for i.e. for Manila is here "1.9999.9999.b3.dev138"

And in Tempest rpm_version outputs 4.0.0.dev22 while setup.py
--version says 10.0.1.dev79 ?!

>> > Which is not really correct. The version is "2.0.0.0b3.dev138" .
>> > rpm supports the tilde ("~") for pre versions. Converting a PEP440
>> > compatible version to a rpm version can be done with code like:

Fedora does not use ~ for pre-versions[1] instead Release: starting
with 0 is used for pre-releases [2]

>> Does it? Thats great. It didn't as far as anyone here knew when we
>> wrote the spec -
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/oslo-specs/plain/specs/juno/pbr-semver.rst
>> - or we'd have avoiding a tonne of complexity.

I did mention Fedora pre-release versioning in that spec review
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/96608/10/specs/juno/pbr-semver.rst@235

>> I see from http://www.rpm.org/ticket/56 that it only came in in RPM 4.10 - is RPM
>> 4.10 available on all the RPM platforms we support? Including I guess
>> old RHEL's and stuff?
>
> Good question. For SUSE, SLE12 has rpm 4.11 which is fine. No idea about RHEL.

EL7 has rpm 4.11 too but ~ is not used, it follows above Fedora
guidelines for pre-releases.

Cheers,
Alan

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Version_Tag