[openstack-dev] [tc] Question about electorate for project without gerrit contribution

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Mar 15 20:59:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 09:25:47PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/15/2016 08:22 PM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > However, at the risk of sounding like a humorless automaton, we have a valid
> > candidate.
> >  * Monty Taylor for Packaging-Deb PTL https://review.openstack.org/#/c/292690/
>
> This started as a joke. Please don't pick-up the joke, and make it a
> serious proposal. This isn't funny anymore.

I did acknowledge that it is/was a joke.

> Obviously, Monty isn't interested (otherwise, he would have help with
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/264726/, which he didn't despite his
> generous offer to do so in Tokyo but he had other priorities).
>
> Also again, please have a look at the openstack-pkg-tools Git history here:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-pkg-tools.git/
>
> There's at least 3 commits a week on this repository.
>
> Now, compare this to the single commit to add a .gitreview file from Monty:
> https://github.com/openstack/deb-openstack-pkg-tools/commits/debian/liberty
>
> That's also a commit on the Liberty branch, and we've switched to
> debian/mitaka a long time ago.
>
> > Also by the rules I feel like we have no choice but to reject
> >  * Adding Packaging-Deb/Thomas_Goirand.txt
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/292885/
>
> I know we have established governance rules. They exist for a reason.
> Though I hope everyone understand what happened after my explanation.
>
> I believe what you wanted to write is:
>
> "If we don't think first and follow the rules without even trying to
> understand, we *WOULD* reject. But we are humans with brains, not
> machines, therefore, it's ok"

Please do not put words in my mouth.  I wrote what I intended to say.

> Because *you do* have a choice, don't you?

I, as an election official, can not choose to make exceptions on a project by
project basis.  I am acting within my understood parameters.  The election
officials saw a problem and raised it with the TC/community.  If the
established process is allowed to play out I think the result will be
reasonable.

Yours Tony.