[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Why edited configuration get replaced after stack.sh

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Mar 15 13:01:57 UTC 2016

Devstack assumes it owns everything on the system, and will overwrite
all configs all the time. This is to keep things repeatable.

There are 3 approaches you could to support your approach here. The
first one is have a custom branch of ceilometer which you then reference
in local.conf.

1)

enable_plugin ceilometer /path/to/your/repo yourbranch

Then just keep it synced over time.

2)

another option would be to build your own plugin which makes this
modification as part of it's normal run.

3)

Create a local.sh -
https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/03cf3ce902daa5b53151cd2b8663f4e5533e3177/stack.sh#L1344-L1348

	-Sean

On 03/15/2016 08:53 AM, Umar Yousaf wrote:
> Hello Rubab,
>
> I already know these steps.But does this mean you have to update the
> previous all custom configurations again and again whenever you stack.sh???
>
> Is there any way possible that these changes don't get updated because
> in a testing environment like mine I have to do it very often.
>
> Regards,
> Umar
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Rubab Syed <rubab.syed21 at gmail.com
> <mailto:rubab.syed21 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Umar,
>
>     As far as I know, you should follow these steps to make this work:
>
>     1- Run stack.sh
>     2- Add rules to policy.json in /etc/ceilometer
>     3- Restart ceilometer service. Follow this link [1] to see how can
>     you restart a particular service.
>

>     [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23593508/restarting-a-service-in-openstack-installed-using-devstack
>
>     Hope this helps.
>
>     Rubab
>
>     On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Umar Yousaf <umarusaf902 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:umarusaf902 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I am pretty new to openstack and I have a very basic question to
>         ask. I have a single node liberty edition of devstack up and
>         running.
>
>         I order to get *ceilometer events* for instances running on demo
>         tenant with admin token set I have heard about role based access
>         control (rbac) following
>         http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/liberty/events-rbac.html,
>         so I added those two rules in *policy.json
>         * inside*/etc/ceilometer* and in order to test its affect I
>         ./stack.sh but after that I could not find those two rules added
>         by me. The file is updated again with its default values.
>
>         Is there anyway that these changes remain intact after stack.sh
>         too. Isn't it a very general thing that you have to update the
>         configuration in order to override the default behavior and in
>         testing environment such as mine you will be doing stack.sh very
>         often so these changes must not be updated by the default ones
>         again.
>
>         Regards,
>         Umar

Sean Dague