[openstack-dev] [nova] patches that improve code quality

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Mar 10 10:28:18 UTC 2016

On 10 March 2016 at 09:35, Markus Zoeller <mzoeller at de.ibm.com> wrote:
> Radomir Dopieralski <openstack at sheep.art.pl> wrote on 03/09/2016 01:22:56
> PM:
>
>> From: Radomir Dopieralski <openstack at sheep.art.pl>
>> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>> Date: 03/09/2016 01:24 PM
>> Subject: [openstack-dev] [nova] patches that improve code quality
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> And now, finally, I can get to the point of this e-mail. I'm relatively
>> new to this project, but I found no way to direct the (precious)
>> attention of core reviewers to such patches. They are not bugs, neither
>> they are parts of any new feature, and so there is no list in Nova that
>> core reviewers look at where we could add such a patch. Admittedly, such
>
>> patches are not urgent -- the code works the same (or almost the same)
>> way without them -- but it would be nice to have some way of merging
>> them eventually, because they do make our lives easier in the long run.
>>
>> So here's my question: what is the correct way to have such a patch
>> merged in Nova, and -- if there isn't one -- should we think about
>> making it easier?
>> --
>> Radomir Dopieralski
>
> Agreed, bug reports are *not* a way to document technical debt. They
> should be used for documenting faulty behavior which can hit downstream
> consumers.
>
> I also have the feeling that refactorings get less attention than
> bug fixes and features. Matt already pointed to the numbers of open
> reviews which compete for attention. One way to make those refactoring
> patches more visible and queryable could be to use a topic "refactoring"
> for them. Reviewers can then search for them if they decide to switch
> their focus to resolving technical debt.

Agreed with good points from Markus and Matt here.

For some general tips, please see:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/process.html#how-can-i-get-my-code-merged-faster

It doesn't really cover refactoring. From memory, the most successful
(larger) refactoring efforts have been tracked as a blueprint. At the
other end of the scale, the little patches you do before a bug fix
patch, so its a cleaner bug fix, often get reasonable amounts of
attention. Discussing your work with folks on IRC often helps raise
awareness of what is happening.

Its worth nothing, a large part of the current priority efforts are
"refactoring" efforts such that we can keep maintaining critical
sections that have become unmaintainable in their current form. Its
worth seeing how your efforts align with what other folks are
currently working on and/or worried about.

The bigger issue here is we don't have enough folks doing great
reviews compared to the amount of patches being proposed. I always
point folks towards this doc that encourages everyone to help with
more code reviews:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/how_to_get_involved.html#why-plus1

I hope that helps,
johnthetubaguy