[openstack-dev] [nova] patches that improve code quality

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Thu Mar 10 09:35:12 UTC 2016

Radomir Dopieralski <openstack at sheep.art.pl> wrote on 03/09/2016 01:22:56
PM:

> From: Radomir Dopieralski <openstack at sheep.art.pl>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 03/09/2016 01:24 PM
> Subject: [openstack-dev] [nova] patches that improve code quality
>
> [...]
>
> And now, finally, I can get to the point of this e-mail. I'm relatively
> new to this project, but I found no way to direct the (precious)
> attention of core reviewers to such patches. They are not bugs, neither
> they are parts of any new feature, and so there is no list in Nova that
> core reviewers look at where we could add such a patch. Admittedly, such

> patches are not urgent -- the code works the same (or almost the same)
> way without them -- but it would be nice to have some way of merging
> them eventually, because they do make our lives easier in the long run.
>
> So here's my question: what is the correct way to have such a patch
> merged in Nova, and -- if there isn't one -- should we think about
> making it easier?
> --
> Radomir Dopieralski

Agreed, bug reports are *not* a way to document technical debt. They
should be used for documenting faulty behavior which can hit downstream
consumers.

I also have the feeling that refactorings get less attention than
bug fixes and features. Matt already pointed to the numbers of open
reviews which compete for attention. One way to make those refactoring
patches more visible and queryable could be to use a topic "refactoring"
for them. Reviewers can then search for them if they decide to switch
their focus to resolving technical debt.

Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)