[openstack-dev] {openstack-dev][tc] Leadership training proposal/info

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Mar 8 21:37:07 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Colette Alexander's message of 2016-03-01 14:41:01 -0800:
> Hello Stackers,
>
> This is the continuation of an ongoing conversation within the TC about
> encouraging the growth of leadership skills within the community that began
> just after the Mitaka summit last year[1]. After being asked by lifeless to
> do a bit of research and discussing needs/wants re: leadership directly
> with TC members, I made some suggestions on an etherpad[2], and was then
> asked to go find out about funding possibilities.
>
> tl;dr - If you're a member of the TC or the Board and would like to attend
> Leadership Training at ZingTrain in Ann Arbor, please get back to me ASAP
> with your contact info and preferred timing/dates for this two-day training
> - also, please let me know whether April 20/21 (or April 21/22) would
> specifically work for you or not.

As I understood it when this course was originally proposed, the
idea was to have a few folks already in leadership positions go
take the training and evaluate it. Then, assuming the evaluation
was good, we would offer it to (or at least suggest it to) other
members of the community like PTLs or folks interested in running
for leadership positions of some sort (not that folks who aren't
elected can't be leaders, but one step at a time).

How did that evolve into most of the TC (and Board?) going? Did
someone do that evaluation already?

I've already expressed my skepticism of the idea of a business
leadership class, and this specific class, being useful to us. I
did so privately because I am willing to listen to the feedback
from folks that do attend and I haven't really been involved in the
planning aside from being asked to be part of the small group doing
an initial evaluation.  But now if we're gearing up to send a large
group to I feel it's necessary to say something publicly.

Do we have a set of goals for the outcome of having folks take a
"leadership" course? Do we have specific issues we would like to
address through changes in leadership style? Does this course cover
them?

The etherpad [1] doesn't discuss any other alternatives that were
evaluated and rejected. Were any other options considered? In
particular, how does this course compare to an event such as the
Community Leadership Summit[2], for which all of the participants
are other open source contributors, rather than small business
owners/managers?

I appreciate the effort you've gone into so far, and the Foundation
for offering to cover some of the costs, but I think we're putting
the cart before the horse.

Doug

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Leadershiptraining
[2] http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com