[openstack-dev] [neutron] - Changing the Neutron default security group rules

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 2 18:34:51 UTC 2016

"Sean M. Collins" <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote on 03/02/2016 01:16:52 PM:

> Meaning your users are creating new security groups and naming them
> "default" - so you have the "default" default (heh) and then the one
> that they created named default?
>
> Are security group names in Nova-Net unqiue? I seem to recall that being
> a difference between Nova-Net and Neutron, where security group names
> are not unique in Neutron - hence the problem above.

I have seen this happen in a variety of use cases.  It does not bother me
that security group names are scoped to tenants; other kinds of names also
lack various kinds of uniqueness.  I am really just raising a tiny,
peripheral rant here.  When I go in as admin to look at a problem, `nova
show` identifies a Compute Instance's security group in a useless way.  If
only I could make `nova show` tell me the UUID instead of, or in addition
to, the security group's name then I would be happy.

Thanks,
Mike