[openstack-dev] [nova] Placement API WSGI code -- let's just use flask

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Thu Jun 23 20:36:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016, at 09:07 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>
> > To be honest, Chris and you were saying that you don't like Flask, and I'm a
> > bit agreeing with you. Why now it's a good possibility ?
>
> As I said when I started the other version of this same thread: What is
> most important to me is generating a consensus that we can actually
> commit to. To build a _real_ consensus it is important to have
> strong opionions that are weakly held[1] otherwise we are not
> actually evaluating the options.
>
> You are right: I don't like Flask. It claims to be a microframework
> but to me it is overweight. I do, however, like it more than the
> chaos that is the current Nova WSGI stack.

This seems to be a recurring complaint in this thread - has any
consideration been given to using werkzeug[1] directly (its the library
underneath Flask). IMO this isn't a big win because the extra stuff that
comes in with Flask shouldn't present additional problems for us, but if
that really is the sticking point then it might be worth a look.

> Flask has a very strong community and it does lots of stuff well
> such that we, in OpenStack, could just stop worrying about it. That
> is one reasonable way to approach doing WSGI moving forward.

++. If there are issues we hit in Flask because of the extra components
we are so worried about then maybe we could work with them to resolve
these issues? I get the impression we are throwing out the baby with the
bathwater avoiding it altogether due to this fear.

> > Why not Routes and Paste couldn't be using also ?
>
> More on this elsewhere in the thread.

Cheers,
Greg

1: https://github.com/pallets/werkzeug