[openstack-dev] [nova] Placement API WSGI code -- let's just use flask

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Jun 22 14:07:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> To be honest, Chris and you were saying that you don't like Flask, and I'm a
> bit agreeing with you. Why now it's a good possibility ?

As I said when I started the other version of this same thread: What is
most important to me is generating a consensus that we can actually
commit to. To build a _real_ consensus it is important to have
strong opionions that are weakly held[1] otherwise we are not
actually evaluating the options.

You are right: I don't like Flask. It claims to be a microframework
but to me it is overweight. I do, however, like it more than the
chaos that is the current Nova WSGI stack.

Flask has a very strong community and it does lots of stuff well
such that we, in OpenStack, could just stop worrying about it. That
is one reasonable way to approach doing WSGI moving forward.

> Why not Routes and Paste couldn't be using also ?

More on this elsewhere in the thread.

[1] For one of many references:
     http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/07/strong_opinions.html
--