[openstack-dev] [all] Status of the OpenStack port to Python 3

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jun 23 16:11:56 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2016-06-22 10:49:01 +0200:
> On 06/22/2016 09:18 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Current status: only 3 projects are not ported yet to Python 3:
> >
> > * nova (76% done)
> > * trove (42%)
> > * swift (0%)
> >
> >    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3
> >
> > Number of projects already ported:
> >
> > * 19 Oslo Libraries
> > * 4 Development Tools
> > * 22 OpenStack Clients
> > * 6 OpenStack Libraries (os-brick, taskflow, glance_store, ...)
> > * 12 OpenStack services approved by the TC
> > * 17 OpenStack services (not approved by the TC)
> >
> > Raw total: 80 projects. In fact, 3 remaining projects on 83 is only 4%,
> > we are so close! ;-)
> >
> > The next steps are to port the 3 remaining projects and work on
> > functional and integration tests on Python 3.
> >
> > Victor
>
> Hi Victor,
>
> Thanks a lot for your efforts on Py3.
>
> Do you think it looks like possible to have Nova ported to Py3 during
> the Newton cycle?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

I'd like for the community to set a goal for Ocata to have Python
3 functional tests running for all projects.

As Tony points out, it's a bit late to have this as a priority for
Newton, though work can and should continue. But given how close
we are to having the initial phase of the port done (thanks Victor!),
and how far we are from discussions of priorities for Ocata, it
seems very reasonable to set a community-wide goal for our next
release cycle.

Thoughts?

Doug