[openstack-dev] [all] Status of the OpenStack port to Python 3

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 08:47:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:08:22AM +0200, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> Le 23/06/2016 02:42, Tony Breeds a écrit :
> > > It doesn't depend on me: I'm sending patches, and then I have to wait for
> > > reviews. The question is more how to accelerate reviews.
> > Clearly I'm far from authorative but given how close we are to R-14 which is
> > the Nova non-priority feature freeze[1] and the python3 port isn't listed as
> > a priority[2] I'd guess that this wont land in Newton.
> >
> > [1] http://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html#nova-non-priority-feature-freeze
> > [2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/priorities/newton-priorities.html
>
> Well, IIRC we discussed in the previous year on some of those blueprints
> (including the Py3 effort) that are not really features (rather refactoring
> items) and which shouldn't be hit by the non-priority feature freeze.
> That doesn't mean we could merge those anytime of course, but I don't think
> we would procedurally -2 them.

Certainly anything which is merely fixing unit tests is valid to be merged
pretty much any time. Stuff which touches actual functional code can be
evaluated on a case by case basis to decide whether it is reasonable to
merge at the particular point in the release process we're at. IOW, I see
no reason to arbitrarily block Py3 work on non-prio freeze - we'll just
carry on with it as part of our natural review process - it'll just have
to take back-seat to reviews for priority features.

Regards,
Daniel