[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos] Egress minimum bandwidth assurance

Hirofumi Ichihara ichihara.hirofumi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Jun 21 09:26:32 UTC 2016

On 2016/06/15 18:54, Alonso Hernandez, Rodolfo wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Context: try to develop a driver for this feature in OVS.
>
> During the last week I’ve been testing several scenarios to make a POC
> of this feature.
>
> Scenario 1:
>
> 3 VM connected to br-int, sending traffic through br-physical to other
> host (an external physical machine).
>
> The first VM will have a min BW of 15 Mb. The physical port will be
> limited to 20 Mb, so for VM2 and VM3 should be only 5 Mb of available BW.
>
> Those three VM are using iperf to inject traffic against the external
> host.
>
> A) One qos policy and queue is created at VM1 port (with
> other_config:{min-rate=15000000}). The traffic is not shapped.
>
> B) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at
> int-phy-patchport. The traffic is not shapped.
>
> C) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at
> phy-int-phy-patchport. The traffic is not shapped.
>
> D) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at
> physical port. The traffic is still not shapped.
>
> In OVS all traffic from VM1 is filtered to match the correct qos and
> queues at the ports.

It seems that this scenario doesn't expect some scenarios like DVR and
multiple NIC. I thought that the queue should be set in br-int with
veth(instead of patch port) between br-int and bt-tun. However, I guess
that this may occur a issue that traffic cannot turn back in br-int.
That may happen in Scenario2 case.

Therefore, I think that we should set the queue to physical port but we
have a problem how do we specify the NIC in some cases(vlan, vxlan, DVR
mode router and DVR FloatingIP).

> Scenario 2:
>
> Similar to scenario 1, but using a fourth VM to act as server. In this
> case, traffic only goes through br-int.
>
> A) One qos policy and queue is created at VM1 port (with
> other_config:{min-rate=15000000}). The traffic is not shapped.
>
> B) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at
> output port (VM4 server port). The traffic is still not shapped.

I think we cannot manage this case because we doesn't know MAX bandwidth
of traffic in br-int and the bandwidth is usually enough.
We should focus our attention on a case that the traffic goes out to
other nodes.

Thanks,
Hirofumi