[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos] Egress minimum bandwidth assurance

Alonso Hernandez, Rodolfo rodolfo.alonso.hernandez at intel.com
Wed Jun 15 09:54:12 UTC 2016

Hello:

Context: try to develop a driver for this feature in OVS.

During the last week I’ve been testing several scenarios to make a POC of this feature.

Scenario 1:
3 VM connected to br-int, sending traffic through br-physical to other host (an external physical machine).
The first VM will have a min BW of 15 Mb. The physical port will be limited to 20 Mb, so for VM2 and VM3 should be only 5 Mb of available BW.
Those three VM are using iperf to inject traffic against the external host.

A) One qos policy and queue is created at VM1 port (with other_config:{min-rate=15000000}). The traffic is not shapped.
B) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at int-phy-patchport. The traffic is not shapped.
C) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at phy-int-phy-patchport. The traffic is not shapped.
D) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at physical port. The traffic is still not shapped.
In OVS all traffic from VM1 is filtered to match the correct qos and queues at the ports.

Scenario 2:
Similar to scenario 1, but using a fourth VM to act as server. In this case, traffic only goes through br-int.
A) One qos policy and queue is created at VM1 port (with other_config:{min-rate=15000000}). The traffic is not shapped.
B) Another qos policy and queue with this minimum BW is created at output port (VM4 server port). The traffic is still not shapped.

I need some help with this implementation, because I’m running out of time an ideas!

Thank you in advance.