[openstack-dev] [nova] Placement API WSGI code -- let's just use flask

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 03:17:06 UTC 2016

Hi Chris, stackers,

OK, so I've been a pretty vocal proponent of Chris' approach to the new
placement REST API endpoint, which is to use no WSGI frameworks and
instead just use the selector library (or Routes as a second choice) for
defining the URI mappings.

However, I had a chat with Doug (cc'd) today and he pulled me around to
the view that it is better to use one of the WSGI frameworks used by the
other OpenStack projects instead of going in a completely new direction.
It will be easier for other OpenStack contributors to become familiar
with the new placement API endpoint code if it uses Flask.

So, as much as I'm not a fan of any framework for handling WSGI stuff,
Flask is probably the best choice for the new placement API code. I'd
suggest Falcon but a) it's been a while since I used Falcon (lots of
stuff has changed since I last worked with it) and b) it's only used by
Zaqar and is better suited (IMO) for data plane APIs than control plane
APIs.

Flask seems to be the most widely used and known WSGI framework so for
consistency's sake, I'm recommending we just use it and not rock this
boat. There are more important things to get hung up on than this battle
right now.

Best,
-jay