[openstack-dev] [diskimage-builder] ERROR: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Mon Jun 20 23:38:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016, at 06:01 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 06/20/2016 06:41 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 04:52:38PM -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> >> Hi dib-gurus,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to build a simple ubuntu VM image on a local Gigabyte BRIX with a
> >> AMD A8-5557M APU with Ubuntu 16.04 installed and getting an odd error.
> >> Hoping someone has some ideas...
> >>
> >> The command I am running is:
> >>
> >> disk-image-create -o /tmp/ubuntu.qcow2 --image-size=10 ubuntu vm
> >>
> > Do you have the same issue if you use ubuntu-minimal? I only suggest it since
> > openstack-infra defaults to -minimal elements now, which is a more tested code
> > path IMO.
>
> Hmm, unfortunately same error...
>
> I've been working with Andre Florath on a private thread. He asked me to
> drop dib into a debug shell and output the contents of:
>
> /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/loop0p1
>
> That returned some nastysauce:
>
> root at brix-1:/# echo $IMAGE_BLOCK_DEVICE
> /dev/loop0p1
> root at brix-1:/# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/loop0p1
>
> Disk /dev/loop0p1: 1743 MB, 1743584768 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 211 cylinders, total 3405439 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>
> Disk /dev/loop0p1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
>
> The quest continues... :)
>
> -jay

Ah, the plot thickens.

Partition creation happens here:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/diskimage-builder/tree/elements/vm/block-device.d/10-partition#n22

It might be worth dropping a bash right afterward to see whether that is
actually succeeding. Its possible that parted is failing but we aren't
catching that failure for some reason, or when we dd the image back on
to the block device we are failing horribly and writing over the
partition table (that would be a totally new bug to me though).

Alternatively, if you could paste a complete log of you image build
somewhere so we can dig through maybe we can spot something interesting.

Cheers,
Greg