[openstack-dev] [Higgins][Zun] Project roadmap

Sudipto Biswas sbiswas7 at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jun 13 17:42:44 UTC 2016

On Monday 13 June 2016 06:57 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 12/06/16 22:10 +0000, Hongbin Lu wrote:
>> Hi team,
>>
>> During the team meetings these weeks, we collaborated the initial
>> project roadmap. I summarized it as below. Please review.
>>
>> * Implement a common container abstraction for different container
>> runtimes. The initial implementation will focus on supporting basic
>> container operations (i.e. CRUD).
>
> What COE's are being considered for the first implementation? Just
> docker and kubernetes?
>
>> * Focus on non-nested containers use cases (running containers on
>> physical hosts), and revisit nested containers use cases (running
>> containers on VMs) later.
>> * Provide two set of APIs to access containers: The Nova APIs and the
>> Zun-native APIs. In particular, the Zun-native APIs will expose full
>> container capabilities, and Nova APIs will expose capabilities that
>> are shared between containers and VMs.
>
> - Is the nova side going to be implemented in the form of a Nova
> driver (like
> ironic's?)? What do you mean by APIs here?
>
> - What operations are we expecting this to support (just CRUD
> operations on
> containers?)?
>
> I can see this driver being useful for specialized services like Trove
> but I'm
> curious/concerned about how this will be used by end users (assuming
> that's the
> goal).
>

>> * Leverage Neutron (via Kuryr) for container networking.
>> * Leverage Cinder for container data volume.
>> * Leverage Glance for storing container images. If necessary,
>> contribute to Glance for missing features (i.e. support layer of
>> container images).
>
> Are you aware of https://review.openstack.org/#/c/249282/ ?
This support is very minimalistic in nature, since it doesn't do
anything beyond just storing a docker FS tar ball.
I think it was felt that, further support for docker FS was needed.
While there were suggestions of private docker registry, having something
in band (w.r.t openstack) maybe desirable.