[openstack-dev] [Higgins][Zun] Project roadmap

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Mon Jun 13 18:46:07 UTC 2016

[Hongbin Lu] Container runtimes, docker in particular, are being considered for the first implementation. We discussed how to support COEs in Zun but cannot reach an agreement on the direction. I will leave it for further discussion.

> >> * Focus on non-nested containers use cases (running containers on
> >> physical hosts), and revisit nested containers use cases (running
> >> containers on VMs) later.
> >> * Provide two set of APIs to access containers: The Nova APIs and
> the
> >> Zun-native APIs. In particular, the Zun-native APIs will expose full
> >> container capabilities, and Nova APIs will expose capabilities that
> >> are shared between containers and VMs.
> >
> > - Is the nova side going to be implemented in the form of a Nova
> > driver (like ironic's?)? What do you mean by APIs here?
[Hongbin Lu] Yes, the plan is to implement a Zun virt-driver for Nova. The idea is similar to Ironic.

[Hongbin Lu] We are working on finding the list of operations to support. There is a BP for tracking this effort: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zun/+spec/api-design .

> > I can see this driver being useful for specialized services like
> Trove
> > but I'm curious/concerned about how this will be used by end users
> > (assuming that's the goal).
[Hongbin Lu] I agree that end users might not be satisfied by basic container operations like CRUD. We will discuss how to offer more to make the service to be useful in production.

> >> * Leverage Neutron (via Kuryr) for container networking.
> >> * Leverage Cinder for container data volume.
> >> * Leverage Glance for storing container images. If necessary,
> >> contribute to Glance for missing features (i.e. support layer of
> >> container images).
> >
> > Are you aware of https://review.openstack.org/#/c/249282/ ?
> This support is very minimalistic in nature, since it doesn't do
> anything beyond just storing a docker FS tar ball.
> I think it was felt that, further support for docker FS was needed.
> While there were suggestions of private docker registry, having
> something in band (w.r.t openstack) maybe desirable.
[Hongbin Lu] Yes, Glance doesn't support layer of container images which is a missing feature.

> >> * Support enforcing multi-tenancy by doing the following:
> >> ** Add configurable options for scheduler to enforce neighboring
> >> containers belonging to the same tenant.
> >> ** Support hypervisor-based container runtimes.
> >>
> >> The following topics have been discussed, but the team cannot reach
> >> consensus on including them into the short-term project scope. We
> >> skipped them for now and might revisit them later.
> >> * Support proxying API calls to COEs.
> >
> > Any link to what this proxy will do and what service it'll talk to?
> > I'd generally advice against having proxy calls in services. We've
> > just done work in Nova to deprecate the Nova Image proxy.
[Hongbin Lu] Maybe "proxy" is not the right word. What I mean is to translate the request to API calls of COEs. For example, users request to create a container in Zun, then Zun creates a single-container pod in k8s.