[openstack-dev] [tc] [heat] [murano] [app-catalog] OpenStack Apps Community, several suggestions how to improve collaboration

Sergey Kraynev skraynev at mirantis.com
Thu Jun 2 08:08:14 UTC 2016

Hi Jeremy,
Please see my answers below:

On 31 May 2016 at 19:38, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2016-05-31 19:20:22 +0300 (+0300), Sergey Kraynev wrote:
> [...]
> > ***** *Second part related with changes with future repositories and*
> > important for Openstack Infra team *****
> > JFYI, what we plan to do as next steps.
> >
> > Murano team will re-create some applications in their repositories using
> > name murano-examples, as reference implementation of some of the
> > applications which Murano team decides to keep in their project for
> > reference. This can be done by Murano team, no external help needed.
> >
> > Some of the applications (complicated and big applications like CI/CD
> > pipeline or Kubernetes cluster) will have their own repositories in the
> > future under openstack/. Actually CI/CD pipeline already lives in
> separated
> > repository, probably Kubernetes should be also moved to separated repo
> > going forward. Hopefully this shouldn't be a big deal for OpenStack Infra
> > team.
> > *However* we would like to get confirmation, that *Infra team* is ok with
> > it?
>
> Infra hasn't balked in the past at project teams having however many
> Git repositories they need to be able to effectively maintain their
> software (see configuration management projects for examples of
> fairly large sets of repos). Do you have any guesses as to how many
> you're talking about creating in, say, the next year?
>

>>>  I am happy to hear, that you don't mind about it. We suppose, that the
number of such repositories should not be more then 10. Probably the number
will be about 5-10 repos. I suppose, that it's extremely big number.

> > Suggestion is to use common template for names of repositories with
> Murano
> > applications in the future, namely openstack/murano-app-...
> > (openstack/murano-app-kubernetes, openstack/murano-app-docker, ...).
> We'll
> > describe overall approach in more details using
> > https://launchpad.net/murano-apps as entry point.
> >
> > Simple applications or applications where there is no active development
> > will keep being stored in murano-apps until there is a demand to move
> some
> > of them to separated repository. At that point we'll ask OpenStack Infra
> > team to do it.
> [...]
>
> Can you clarify what it is you're going to ask Infra to do? I think
> the things you're describing can be done entirely through
> configuration (you just need some project-config-core reviewers to
> approve the changes you propose), but that might mean I'm
> misunderstanding you.
>

>>> Jeremy, it's some kind of repetition previous words, like: "if we will
decide to move some apps to separate repositories - we will ask infra team
to confirm, that it's ok." So if you agree with this whole idea (sometimes
create new repos for some applications with number mentioned earlier (no
more then 10 per year)), current question may be ignored.

> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Regards,
Sergey.