[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:30:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Sergey Lukjanov <slukjanov at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> First of all, let me say that it’s a marketing announcement and as all of
> you know such announcements aren’t precise from a technical side.
> Personally I’ve seen this paper first time on TechCrunch.
>
> First of all, fuel-ccp-* are a set of OpenStack projects and everyone is
> welcome to participate. All the regular community process(es) for other
> openstack projects apply to fuel-ccp-*. At the moment, in spite of what the
> marketing announcements say, it’s a bunch of people from Mirantis working
> on the repositories. Please think of this as an incubation process to try
> and see what the next incarnation of Fuel would look like in the future.
>
> Regardless of what was written, we aren’t applying to the Big Tent right
> now (as it was initially said explicitly when we were creating repos and
> it’s still valid). The state of the repos is still experimental, but I’d
> like to make things clear and confirm that Mirantis has chosen to use
> containers for infrastructure and OpenStack components and to use
> Kubernetes as the orchestrator of those containers. In the future, the Fuel
> OpenStack installer will use these containerized OpenStack/infrastructure
> component images. There are many questions to be solved and things to be
> done first in Fuel CCP, such as:
>
> * Freeze technologies and approaches, such as repos structure, image
> layers, etc.
> * Cleanup deprecated PoC stuff from the code
> * Implement basic test coverage for all parts of the project
> * Create Release Management approach
> * Consume OpenStack CI to run tests
> * Fully implement 3rd party CI (with end-to-end integration tests only)
> * Make at least initial documentation and ensure that it’s deployable
> using this doc
>
> and etc. In general, I would not expect us to seriously consider applying
> to the Big Tent for another 5-6 months at the earliest.
>
> Regarding the Fuel mission, that is:
>
>     To streamline and accelerate the process of deploying, testing and
> maintaining various configurations of OpenStack at scale.
>
> I think that it’s 100% aligned with that we’re doing in Fuel CCP.

​All the other stuff aside, the above was my take away from the first or
second message in this thread so I fail to understand the debate around
this.  The mission statement is simply around deploying, how that deploy
mechanism is implemented (Kubernetes, Ironic whatever) doesn't really seem
to be an issue here.

The point about API's that Jay Pipes made was spot on in my opinion as
well.  We're not talking about service or project API's that the end users
or operators deal with on a daily basis.  Until there's a standard install
API I fail to see the argument against this.

Other questions about the 4 opens etc seem to have been answered, but I
don't have any real insight here.  Personally I'm looking forward to seeing
if somebody can come up with a reliable and relatively easy deployment
tool.  If it means competition then that's great as far as I'm concerned.
I'll use whichever one doesn't make me want to rip my hair out.

​