[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jul 28 15:37:33 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Flavio Percoco's message of 2016-07-28 16:43:35 +0200:
> On 28/07/16 04:45 +0000, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:

> >>Application *Programming* Interface. There's nothing that is being
> >>*programmed* or *called* in Kolla's image definitions.
> >>
> >>What Kolla is/has is not an API. As Stephen said, it's more of an
> >>Application Binary Interface (ABI). It's not really an ABI, though, in
> >>the traditional sense of the term that I'm used to.
> >>
> >>It's an agreed set of package bases, installation procedures/directories
> >>and configuration recipes for OpenStack and infrastructure components.
> >
> >Jay,
> >
> >From my perspective, this isn't about ABI proliferation or competition.
> >This is about open public discourse.
> >
> >It is the responsibility of all community members to protect the four
> >opens.
> >
> >Given the intent of fuel-ccp to fully adopt K8S into Fuel described here:
> >https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/25/openstack-will-soon-be-able-to-run-on-top
> >-of-kubernetes/
> >

> >It is hard to understand the arguments in the reviews related to "this is
> >an experimental project, so its not targeted towards big tent" yet Boris
> >wrote in that press release its Fuel's next big thing.
> >
> >I raised the objection early on that a mission statement change was needed
> >by Fuel if they wanted to proceed down this path, to which I was told K8S
> >support is not going into big tent.
> >
> >As a result of Mirantis's change in mind about fuel-ccp being NOT
> >experimental and being targeted for big tent, I'd like the record set
> >straight in the governance repository since the intentions are being
> >published in the press and the current intentions of this project are
> >public.
>
> If I can be honest, I think this whole thread is not going anywhere because it
> just started based on the wrong assumption, the wrong tone and with poor
> wording. I'd have asked for clarifications before demanding changes from anyone.
> To me, the way this thread started violates one of principles of our community,
> which is assuming good faith. I'll assume good faith now and interpret this
> thread as a hope to clarify the goals and intentions of this projects and not as
> a way to bluntly point fingers, which is how some people might have perceived
> it.

+1

I'm not sure how/why this escalated so quickly. It seems there's some
history between these teams, though. If Kevin's summary of the issues on
the universal containers spec is correct, it seems like there's room for
compromise. That said, I agree with Russell and Flavio that there's also
plenty of room for different implementations in the deployment space,
whether are part of the big tent or not.

> >I could see how people could perceive many violations of the four opens in
> >all of the activities related to the fuel-ccp project.  We as a community
> >value open discourse because we are all intelligent human beings.  We
> >value honesty and integrity because trust is the foundation of how our
> >community operates.  I feel the best way for Fuel to repair the perceived
> >violations of the four opens going forward is to:
>
> I honestly don't see the violation. The fuel team added these repos and
> explicitly said they are not planning to join the tent right now. Adding new
> repos called `fuel-blah` won't make those deliverables official. Whenever the
> team decides to make these deliverables part of Fuel, they'll have to send a
> patch to the governance repo.
>
> So, again, where's the lack of openess? Is it just based on the content of the
> press release? I'm mostly asking because I don't personally read press releases
> when reviewing patches for the governance repo. I do see the inconsistency
> between the press release and what's in the repos/reviews but I in those cases,
> the governance repository is the source of truth not the press release.

Please oh please, let's not start down the path of being driven to
assert that any contributor is being dishonest or lacks integrity
because of the content of press releases.

> >1. Alter the mission statement of fuel to match the reality being
> >published by the press and Mirantis's executive team

I don't think the mission statement needs to change to make it more
specific. I've tried to work with every team to help them craft a
broad statement that describes what they do without tying them to
implementation details. The current Fuel mission sounds like it is
still accurate, without worrying about whether the deployment is
delivered by system packages, containers, floppy disks, or punch
cards.