[openstack-dev] [TripleO][DIB] Proposal to move DIB to its own project team

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Thu Jul 21 21:58:19 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

The subject sort of says it all - I'd like to propose making
diskimage-builder its own project team.

When we started diskimage-builder and many of the other TripleO
components we designed them with the goal in mind of creating tools that
are useful outside of the TripleO context (in addition to fulfilling our
immediate needs).  To that effect diskimage-builder has become more of a
cross-project tool designed and used by several of the OpenStack
projects and as a result it no longer seems to make sense for
diskimage-builder to be part of the TripleO project team. Our two core
groups have diverged to a large extent over the last several cycles
which has removed much of the value of being part of that project team
while creating some awkward communication issues. To be clear - I
believe this is purely a result of the TripleO project team succeeding
in its goal to improve OpenStack by use of the virtuous cycle and this
is an ideal result of that goal.

Is this is something the DIB and TripleO folks agree/disagree with? If
we all agree then I think this should be a fairly straightforward
process, otherwise I welcome some discussion on the topic :).

Cheers,
Greg

--
  Gregory Haynes