[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [Fuel UI] Node role list grouping

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Fri Jan 29 11:59:53 UTC 2016

On 29.01.2016 10:58, Sergii Golovatiuk wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Julia Aranovich
> <jkirnosova at mirantis.com <mailto:jkirnosova at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     Our team has started a redesign of node roles panel [1] on Add
>     Nodes/Edit Roles screens in Fuel UI.
>     Currently, node roles panel takes a big part of the screen and User
>     have to scroll down to node list to check nodes and then scroll up
>     again to check roles. This becomes more actual for desktops with a
>     small screen.
>
>     And we faced with the question of grouping new role containers in
>     the panel. There is out initial suggestion [2]:
>
>     role-list-grouping-1.png
>
>       * the first group (the first line on the screenshot) is roles
>         which are required or recommended for deployment (controller,
>         compute, cinder, etc.).
>
> It's not true. There can be deployments without Controllers or without
> computes or without Storage.
>
>       * the second group is optional roles which are not mandatory for
>         deployment (base-os, virt, etc.)
>       * the last group is roles which are unavailable at the moment
>         because of some restrictions. For example, mongo role can not be
>         assigned to a node if ceilometer setting is not enabled on
>         Settings tab
>
>     BUT there is also a suggestion [3] (see comment #6) to add a new
>     role 'category' attribute into its yaml description [4] that will
>     reflect the role function.
>     For example, cinder, ceph-osd, cinder-vmware roles are from Storage
>     category; compute, ironic are Compute and so on.
>     This new 'category' attribute will also allow proper calculating of
>     an environment capacity: it does not make sense to count CPU and RAM
>     of non-compute nodes or HDD of non-storage nodes.
>
>     So, we have an initial proposal for such a grouping by a role category:
>
>     CONTROLLER: controller
>     COMPUTE: compute, virt, compute-vmware, ironic
>     STORAGE: cinder, cinder-block-device, cinder-vmware, ceph-osd
>     OTHER: base-os, mongo
>
>     And we ask your help to review this grouping, i.e. to define the
>     list of possible role categories and to distribute the roles between
>     these categories.
>

> We removed role as abstraction from library. It's very very artificial
> abstraction. Instead we use tasks, grouping them to different
> combinations. That allows plugin developers to adjust reference
> architecture to their needs.

That seems *very* confusing as all role labels are still sitting at
their places in task definitions. See for 'primary-controller',
'controller', 'compute' etc. We can say we "dropped" only once we:
- get rid of them in *all* places
- update task schema docs [0] lagging far behind, which is the most
critical thing to remove confusion, see related topic [1]

[0]
https://docs.mirantis.com/openstack/fuel/fuel-7.0/reference-architecture.html#task-based-deployment
[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-January/085208.html

>     Best regards,
>     Julia
>
>     P.S. We also should take into account, that Fuel plugins can also
>     provide their own roles.
>
>     [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/redesign-of-node-roles-panel
>     [2] http://s22.postimg.org/x8ry0lm1t/Screenshot_from_2016_01_26_17_49_24.png
>     [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1375750