[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [Fuel UI] Node role list grouping

Julia Aranovich jkirnosova at mirantis.com
Fri Jan 29 10:48:27 UTC 2016

Sergii,

Just to clarify: we rely on a role 'limits' attribute [1] to define is role
required for deployment ('min' limit presented in the role description) or
recommended for deployment ('recommended' limit). Roles without 'min' or
'recommended' limit are considered as optional for basic deployment.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/fuel-web/blob/master/nailgun/nailgun/fixtures/openstack.yaml#L23-L24

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM Vladimir Kuklin <vkuklin at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> which group can be specified:
>
> 1) in global settings of Nailgun
> 2) per-plugin
> 3) per environment in UI
>
> This should cover all the cases even for very flexible roles allocation.
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Sergii Golovatiuk <
> sgolovatiuk at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Julia Aranovich <jkirnosova at mirantis.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Our team has started a redesign of node roles panel [1] on Add
>>> Nodes/Edit Roles screens in Fuel UI.
>>> Currently, node roles panel takes a big part of the screen and User have
>>> to scroll down to node list to check nodes and then scroll up again to
>>> check roles. This becomes more actual for desktops with a small screen.
>>>
>>> And we faced with the question of grouping new role containers in the
>>> panel. There is out initial suggestion [2]:
>>>
>>> [image: role-list-grouping-1.png]
>>>
>>>    - the first group (the first line on the screenshot) is roles which
>>>    are required or recommended for deployment (controller, compute, cinder,
>>>    etc.).
>>>
>>> It's not true. There can be deployments without Controllers or without
>> computes or without Storage.
>>

>>>    - the second group is optional roles which are not mandatory for
>>>    deployment (base-os, virt, etc.)
>>>    - the last group is roles which are unavailable at the moment
>>>    because of some restrictions. For example, mongo role can not be assigned
>>>    to a node if ceilometer setting is not enabled on Settings tab
>>>
>>> BUT there is also a suggestion [3] (see comment #6) to add a new role
>>> 'category' attribute into its yaml description [4] that will reflect the
>>> role function.
>>> For example, cinder, ceph-osd, cinder-vmware roles are from Storage
>>> category; compute, ironic are Compute and so on.
>>> This new 'category' attribute will also allow proper calculating of an
>>> environment capacity: it does not make sense to count CPU and RAM of
>>> non-compute nodes or HDD of non-storage nodes.
>>>
>>> So, we have an initial proposal for such a grouping by a role category:
>>>
>>> CONTROLLER: controller
>>> COMPUTE: compute, virt, compute-vmware, ironic
>>> STORAGE: cinder, cinder-block-device, cinder-vmware, ceph-osd
>>> OTHER: base-os, mongo
>>>
>>> And we ask your help to review this grouping, i.e. to define the list of
>>> possible role categories and to distribute the roles between these
>>> categories.
>>>

>> We removed role as abstraction from library. It's very very artificial
>> abstraction. Instead we use tasks, grouping them to different combinations.
>> That allows plugin developers to adjust reference architecture to their
>> needs.
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Julia
>>>
>>> P.S. We also should take into account, that Fuel plugins can also

>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/redesign-of-node-roles-panel
>>> [2]