[openstack-dev] [heat][heat-client] Question about heat command: deployment-list and deployment-metadata-show

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 00:13:21 UTC 2016

On 22/01/16 18:25, 邸小丽 Di XiaoLi wrote:
> Hi:
>
> When using heat command: heat deployment-list  and heat
> deloyment-metadata-show like this:
> # heat deployment-list -s *non-exist-server-id*
> +----+-----------+-----------+--------+--------+---------------+---------------+
> | id | config_id | server_id | action | status | creation_time |
> status_reason |
> +----+-----------+-----------+--------+--------+---------------+---------------+
> +----+-----------+-----------+--------+--------+---------------+---------------+
> # heat deployment-metadata-show *non-exist-server-id
> *[]
> *Here, I give the invalid server_id. But heat client did not show me
> that the server_id is not exist. *
> I think it is may be a bug as the case of invalid server_id and valid
> server_id with no deployments will both just return same empty output.
> So, My questions are:
> 1) Is this a bug or consistent with design ?
> 2) If this is a bug, we should do the validation on the server_id and
> return a Not Found message as appropriate.
>     I would like to know whether we should do the validation  in heat
> client or heat ?

The server_id is treated as an arbitrary string with minimal validation
- this is by design to accommodate use cases where there is not
necessarily a nova server associated with the deployment (for example, a
server external to the stack or the cloud, or no server at all, such as
the functional tests for the deployment REST API)