[openstack-dev] Spam of patches

Eric Harney eharney at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 14:54:51 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 09:32 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12 2016, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>
>> My question to the ML is this, should stylistic changes of this kind be handled
>> in a consistent way across all projects, maybe with a hacking rule and some
>> discussion on the ML first? After all, if this change is worthwhile, it is
>> worth ensuring that this construct that we are seeking to eliminate, does not
>> reenter the code base.
>
> This is not stylistic, these are actual changes that can break the code
> for no good reason. I've already -2'ed the Ceilometer one.
>
> Honestly, this kind of change are getting more and more a problem to us.
> People invent a false bug, maybe report it to LP and mass-assign
> projects, and then spam all the projects without any discussion before.
> The worse thing is that most of these patches are wrong or incorrect,
> add code-churn that just pollutes project history for no benefit.

For anyone interested here, this is the most recent example of this that
I've seen (and not the first time this same faulty change has been
discussed in Cinder):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1512207

The change suggested here makes unit tests weaker, but many projects
have already landed this change.

I'd just like to be another voice to say: these changes are often not as
simple as they look, and really need careful review.