[openstack-dev] Spam of patches

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Jan 12 14:58:57 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 09:32 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12 2016, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>
>> My question to the ML is this, should stylistic changes of this
>> kind be handled in a consistent way across all projects, maybe
>> with a hacking rule and some discussion on the ML first? After
>> all, if this change is worthwhile, it is worth ensuring that this
>> construct that we are seeking to eliminate, does not reenter the
>> code base.
>
> This is not stylistic, these are actual changes that can break the
> code for no good reason. I've already -2'ed the Ceilometer one.
>
> Honestly, this kind of change are getting more and more a problem
> to us. People invent a false bug, maybe report it to LP and
> mass-assign projects, and then spam all the projects without any
> discussion before. The worse thing is that most of these patches
> are wrong or incorrect, add code-churn that just pollutes project
> history for no benefit.
>
> At the beginning, I had hope, and was being patient and tried to
> mentor these new people with the hope that they'll learn and stick
> around. None stayed. Is it just a "get me an free ATC pass"
> behavior, like someone suggested?
>
> Now the spam amount is getting so high (several of these patches
> per week these days) that I can't afford to be so patient and
> gentle anymore, and I just -2 the patch with a brief explanation. I
> also have to use the "mute bug mail" feature of Launchpad a lot,
> since I get spammed by all the changes done the mass-assigned
> Launchpad bugs.
>
> So, how what can we do to fix that? It seems we're not
> communicating proper behavior on how to jump into OpenStack to
> contribute and that those "contributors" are not used to FOSS
> communities.

I think Julien raises a very important point here. This kind of
contribution and the way it is communicated is sub optimal for the
effective operation of our developer's workflow.

I too have tried to mentor many new folks hoping they would learn open
source workflows and even though some of them understood and
implemented (one or two even payed it forward) most of them have moved o
n.

This kind of behaviour puts a lot of load on developers and each
person addresses it in their own way. One of the things I see is a
fragmentation of what I had believed to be camaraderie as everyone is
forced to come up with their own individual solution to deal with this
demand.

I don't have a solution but I agree with Julien that it is a problem.

Thanks Julien,
Anita.