[openstack-dev] [kolla] Introduction of Heka in Kolla

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Mon Jan 11 22:37:04 UTC 2016

Here is why I am on board with this. As we have discovered, the logging
with the syslog plugin leaves alot to be desired. It (to my understanding)
still can't save tracebacks/stacktraces to the log files for whatever
reason. stdout/stderr however works perfectly fine. That said the Docker
log stuff has been a source of pain in the past, but it has gotten better.
It does have the limitation of being only able to log one output at a time.
This means, as an example, the neutron-dhcp-agent could send its logs to
stdout/err but the dnsmasq process that it launch (that also has logs)
would have to mix its logs in with the neutron logs in stdout/err. Can Heka
handle this and separate them efficiently? Otherwise I see no choice but to
stick with something that can handle multiple logs from a single container.

Sam Yaple