[openstack-dev] [kolla] Introduction of Heka in Kolla

Eric LEMOINE elemoine at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 11 22:16:47 UTC 2016

Le 11 janv. 2016 18:45, "Michał Jastrzębski" <inc007 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On 11 January 2016 at 10:55, Eric LEMOINE <elemoine at mirantis.com> wrote:
> > Currently the services running in containers send their logs to
> > rsyslog. And rsyslog stores the logs in local files, located in the
> > host's /var/log directory.
>
> Yeah, however plan was to teach rsyslog to forward logs to central
> logging stack once this thing is implemented.

Yes. With the current ELK Change Request, Rsyslog sends logs to the central
Logstash instance. If you read my design doc you'll understand that it's
precisely what we're proposing changing.

http://hekad.readthedocs.org/en/latest/config/inputs/docker_log.html>

> So docker logs isn't best thing there is, however I'd suspect that's
> mostly console output fault. If you can tap into stdout efficiently,
> I'd say that's pretty good option.

I'm not following you. Could you please be more specific?

> >> Seems to me we need additional comparason of heka vs rsyslog;) Also
> >> this would have to be hands down better because rsyslog is already
> >> implemented, working and most of operators knows how to use it.
> >

> > We don't need to remove Rsyslog. Services running in containers can
> > write their logs to both Rsyslog and stdout, which even is what they
> > do today (at least for the OpenStack services).
> >

> There is no point for that imho. I don't want to have several systems
> doing the same thing. Let's make decision of one, but optimal toolset.
> Could you please describe bottoms up what would your logging stack
> look like? Heka listening on stdout, transfering stuff to
> elasticsearch and kibana on top of it?

My plan is to provide details in the blueprint document, that I'll continue
working on if the core developers agree with the principles of the proposed
architecture and change.

But here's our plan—as already described in my previous email: the Kolla
services, which run in containers, write their logs to stdout. Logs are
collected by the Docker engine. Heka's Docker Log Input plugin is used to
read the container logs from the Docker endpoint (Unix socket). Since Heka
will run in a container a volume is necessary for accessing the Docker
endpoint. The Docker Log Input plugin inserts the logs into the Heka
pipeline, at the end of which an Elasticsearch Output plugin will send the
log messages to Elasticsearch. Here's a blog post reporting on that
approach: <
http://www.ianneubert.com/wp/2015/03/03/how-to-use-heka-docker-and-tutum/>.
We haven't tested that approach yet, but we plan to experiment with it as
we work on the specs.