[openstack-dev] [all] re-introducing twisted to global-requirements

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Fri Jan 8 00:38:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 07:18:15PM -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 01/07/2016 06:42 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:

> >>I don't really see the point of a separate project like Mimic that has a
> >>whole bunch of reimplementations (mocked out) of all sorts of OpenStack (and
> >>RAX-specific) API services. It's just a great way to introduce a larger
> >>surface area for bugs to creep in -- since you have to keep the Mimic
> >>interfaces up to date with the real interfaces. Better to keep something
> >>like this -- if it is TRULY needed -- in-tree with the API service itself,
> >>so that the chances of divergence are reduced. This is similar to the
> >>fakevirt driver in Nova. It's in tree for good reason: when someone changes
> >>the virt driver interface, the fakevirt driver goes boom and needs to be
> >>changed in a corresponding fashion in the same patch.
> >
> >I tend to think our REST APIs are much more stable than internal python
> >APIs, and so we can manage the divergence much easier.
> >
> >Also, mimic can simulate:
> >
> >* old versions (less needed with all the microversion stuff)
> >* old bugs that were shipped
> >* misconfigurations
> >* networking errors
> >* the passage of time (including timeouts)
> >
> >We probably don't want to keep a catalog of old bugs and misconfigurations in
> >tree forever.
> >
> >>What value does a functional test against an HTTP API service that does
> >>nothing (other than introduce greater surface area for bugs) actually offer
> >>over unit tests anyway?
> >
> >Testing the full stack of the client instead of mocking the bottom
> >half of requests is a big one.
> >
> >Lekha and Glyph gave a talk on Mimic in Paris; it may be enlightening.
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUUQme3dwA
>
> OK, I just watched that. Sorry, still don't see the value that Mimic
> provides over unit testing the client interfaces and mocking out the HTTP
> payloads so you have strict control over the expectations.
>
> The problem that Glyph noted in the video about the unit test that mocked
> out os.chdir to improperly return a value isn't solved whatsoever by Mimic,
> so I find it odd that that example was used in discussing the value of
> Mimic. Bad mocks are just that: bad mocks. The same false positive failure
> could easily be introduced with a typo in the "metadata injection" that
> Mimic does to inject failures into the system.
>
> Mimic isn't testing anything on the server side at all so I'm not sure why
> folks call it "integration testing". It isn't testing the integration of
> anything at all. All it enables is multi-language client library testing,
> and see my response to Ben, the surface area it introduces for bugs in the
> test platform itself in my opinion outweigh the multi-language value it
> might have.

FWIW, I've only been calling it functional testing. I also don't care
about the multi-language parts here. The sole purpose we have for mimic
(so far) is to functionally test python-ironicclient without mocking the
world in ironicclient.

> Final question on this... if Mimic is *only* for testing clients, why not
> make it just a dependency for python-ironicclient and not ironic itself?

We haven't made it a dep for anything yet, only added to g-r.

However, now that you mention that, a really ambitious goal would be to
add a rabbit interface to mimic, and functionally test the API server
(that it sends the right messages, etc). Another would be to mimic
(Neutron, Glance) and test Ironic by itself.

Last, I frankly don't understand why there's
such heavy opposition to the ironic team using an additional tool for
testing. Clearly we see some value in using mimic; I'd love to make
progress on exploring that and seeing if it brings the value we think it
will, rather than talking about why others think it's useless. The g-r
change is already merged; lifeless asked me to start this thread because
twisted is a touchy subject. I didn't start this thread to get buyoff
from the entire community on using a new test tool in a single project.

We have code review for a reason. This review went up on September 3. It
was frozen for Liberty final. In October it was blocked on Python 3
compatibility. The mimic team worked to make it Python 3 compatible
(including some of the dependencies), and released a compatible version
in December. People were plugging this patch in IRC on and off because
they want to go ahead and actually use the library.

There was *more* than sufficient time for "I don't think this is useful"
to be posted on the review. If anyone has a hard technical reason why
mimic should not be used to test an OpenStack project, I'm happy to
listen. Otherwise I'd like to work on actually getting things done.

// jim